Child Support

When children are involved in separations, things can become confusing. Child support is a complex minefield that may work in or against your favour. We work closely with you to ensure you get what is owed to you and your children.

What is Child Support?

Child support is a term used to describe the payment of money from one parent to the other for the purpose of helping the parent raise their children who are under 18 years of age.


The Child Support Agency (CSA) is run by the Federal Government and they govern the bulk of Australia’s child support agreements. They have a special formula that they use to work out how much each parent should be contributing to their child by considering the income of the parents, the cost of raising a child and how much time you spend with your child.


Some parents may think that the amount calculated by the CSA is too little and they won’t be able to look after their children. Some parents may think that they are paying too much child support and it’s an unfair burden on them. If you disagree with the amount that CSA has come up with, you can dispute it.

Do I have to go through the Child Support Agency? Can I make a Private Agreement?

Some families choose not to involve the Child Support Agency and try and negotiate child support payments between each other. We recommend that such agreements are recorded in writing to avoid miscommunication or disputes in the future.


With a private agreement, as long as both parties are happy with the terms of payment, you can come to any compromise on the amount of payment, frequency and metho d of payment.

How can I get out of paying Child Support?

If you are a parent of the child then under law, both parents have a duty to support their children financially.  Often people ask the question,


“If I didn’t plan to have the baby, do I need to pay child support?”


“I don’t want to have this baby, why should I have to pay child support?”


As a parent, you are required by law to support your children regardless of whether you were involved in the decision to keep the child or not, meaning that it doesn’t matter if the child was planned, if you were in a long term or one night stand relationship. If the baby is biologically yours, you must financially support it.

I’m not happy with my child support agreement. What can I do?

If you are unhappy with a decision made by the Child Support Agency, there are avenues that allow you to challenge them and have a new decision made in your favour.


If you are unhappy with your private Child Support Agreement, you are always able to renegotiate something with your ex-partner and potentially come to a compromise. Our experienced negotiators can help you get the results you want whilst ensuring your rights are protected.